This year I just couldn’t seem to figure out what I wanted to plant. So I got out all my seeds (this is no small task even in the short three seasons I have gardened veggies) and began to test the seeds for viability. I then decided I had better get started with sowing seeds which will need a few weeks to get started. So here is what I already have:
- Lemon cucumber
- Dark Green Zucchini squash
- Cucumbers (A & C and De Bourbonne) I have recently read on multiple sites that the A&C are bitter. They did not do well for me last year but I am going to use up my seed and possibly have better luck.
- Carrots (Romeo round baby carrots and a freebie St. Valery Carrot) I have had ZERO luck with carrots. I am going to plant them in a pot this year.
- Lettuces – Mignonette Bronze, Tom Thumb two pkgs. of this one – oops, Little Gem, and a freebie Garden Heirloom Blend
- Herbs – Italian flat leaf parsley, Garden Cress, marjoram, Dill, Genovese Basil
- Wando peas
- Sugar Ann snow peas (These two peas are going in the ground very soon) ( As in when it quits raining. Yep, here we go again.)
All of these seeds above can be direct seeded into the soil. I have also decided which seeds to order for planting this year and which will be transplants. Please repeat after me:
“I am still a real gardener even if I don’t grow all my plants from seed. “
I was amazed last year at how many of the plants I grew from seed were readily available in local nurseries. So, I thought this year, I would take advantage of these and purchase only seeds to be direct seeded or those I would be unable to find in a transplant or those I couldn’t help myself from buying.
But, FINALLY, here’s the list of seeds I ordered.
- Maxibel Haricot Vert Bean
- Pinto Bean
- Florida Speckled Butter Bean
- Pepperoncini Pepper
- Jack Be Little Pumpkin
- Pinkeye/Purple Hull Pea
- Arkansas Traveler Tomato
- Porter Tomato
- San Marzano Tomato
I also want to plant some onions and potatoes (more on that later). The Jack Be Little pumpkins I am going to plant using a teepee. I am also going to use a teepee for some of the beans. I must BE Jack in the Beanstalk as I have nowhere to go but up.
I sowed some Porter tomato seeds which I had, a few bell pepper seeds, some Chinese blue delphiniums and coleus. I will be buying my pepper plants, hot and sweet instead of sowing the seeds this year.
One of my New Year’s resolutions is to GET ORGANIZED. No matter that this is my number one resolution every year. But this year I will have help. My sister and niece made me this very cute box to hold my seed packets.
Thanks, Lori and Britney. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!